Before you can start the Auvik collector, you must first do a few things.
- Register for a trial.
- Add a new client.
- Have a supported virtualization platform ready. Desktop virtualization platforms such as Oracle VirtualBox, VMware Fusion, or VMware Workstation are fine for quick use, but aren’t recommended or supported for enterprise implementations.
Host Operating Systems
VMware ESX / ESXi 5.5+ (Download here)
NA (barebones hypervisor)
- Sign into your Auvik account and access a new client to download the Auvik OVA file.
Need help getting the Auvik collector up and running on your network? This quick start guide shows you the way.
If you’re using vCenter instead of vSphere, we recommend you install the collector using the bash script rather than importing an OVA.
Installing Auvik on VMware ESXi (hypervisor)
- Open VMware vSphere.
- From the File menu, select Deploy OVF Template.
- Browse to the collector file you just downloaded and select it.
- Click Next within vSphere.
- On the OVF Template Details screen, click Next.
- If you’d like to assign a customized name to the collector, enter it at the Name and Location screen, then click Next. If you don’t want to assign a customized name, just click Next.
- At the Disk Format screen, select Thin Provision, then Next.
- At the Network Mapping screen, select Next.
- At the Ready to Complete screen, check Power on after deployment, then Finish. This step will start your Auvik collector.
- Ensure that the IP address of the collector remains static. There are two ways to ensure this:
- Set up a DHCP reservation for the virtual machine’s MAC address in your DHCP server.
- Configure the collector to use a static IP address that lies outside of your DHCP pool. Option 1 on the collector’s console window will help you configure a static IP.
- Click the Start Using Auvik button in the bottom right corner of the Auvik install wizard.