We recommend giving each of your collectors a description so you can easily identify them.
Multiple collectors on a single network can be great for failover, as long as each collector can talk to all subnets on the network. If one collector goes offline, the other immediately takes over scanning (provided the network is configured that way).
You can manage your collectors from Discovery > Manage Networks when adding new networks or editing existing networks.
From either the Add Network or Edit Network form, you can decide whether choosing an Auvik collector for a particular network should be automatic or manual.
- Choosing automatic means Auvik decides which collector to use for the subnet. If that collector goes offline, the other running collector (as long as it can talk to the subnet) picks up scanning.
But if the collectors are on different subnets that aren’t able to communicate, each collector continues to manage its subnet only. In other words, if the collector for subnet A goes offline, the collector for subnet B doesn’t take over scanning.
- Choosing manual means you get to pick the collector you want for the subnet. Optionally, you can also select which of the other collectors on the network are on standby (backup) for the primary collector.
If the secondary collector goes offline and a tertiary collector has been defined, the tertiary collector takes over. Each standby collector should be assigned a priority so Auvik knows which one should take over first when the primary collector goes offline.
Once the primary collector comes back online, it takes over from either the secondary or tertiary collector.
When following the instructions in How to add a network you want scanned or How to edit a single network, complete these steps when choosing the manual selection option.
- From the Auvik Collector Selection dropdown, select Manual.
- From the Primary Collector dropdown, select the primary collector.
- Optional: Check Add Standby Collector(s).
- From the Standby Collector(s) dropdown, select the standby collector. Set the priority for the collector.
- To have a tertiary standby collector, click the + sign to select another collector and set the priority.
- Click Save.
For the automatic selection option, nothing needs to be changed.