Auvik can leverage a level 3 privileged EXEC mode to backup device configurations on Cisco IOS routers or switches. To do so, you need to set up the device with the new privilege level and assign the command to retrieve the configuration to the new privilege level.
You can configure both steps from the Cisco IOS command line. You’ll need Telnet, SSH, or serial (console) access to the Cisco device.
- Telnet, SSH, or serial (console) into your IOS device.
- Enter the global configuration mode by typing
enablethen entering your escalated privilege credentials if it’s required.
- Enter the configuration mode by typing
- Issue the following command to set the password for the level 3 privilege:
enable secret level 3 0 <level_3_privilege_password>
- Note: Replace <level_3_privilege_password> with your desired password for level 3 privilege.
show running-configcommand to privilege level 3:
privilege exec all level 3 show running-config view full
- If the all switch isn’t supported, you can issue this command instead:
privilege exec level 3 show running-config view full
All done! The configuration for your Cisco IOS device can now be backed up using Auvik with the lower privilege command.