SonicWall Gen 7 firewall devices have a slightly different web management interface from the previous version. Follow these steps below to enable SNMP and SSH on your Gen 7 device. Note: this process will require you to have administrative access to your SonicWall firewall device.
These instructions are for SNMPv2. If you're looking to set up SNMPv3, you'll find the instructions here.
Enable SNMP on the device
SNMP is typically disabled by default on a factory-reset SonicWall device. You’ll need to manually enable it. From the SonicWall administrative graphical user interface (GUI):
- Navigate to Device,Settings, then SNMP.
- Click to enable SNMP.
- Click on the Configure button.
- Within the “Get Community Name” text box, enter a community string you would like to use.
- The other fields are optional.
Enable SNMP and SSH on the appropriate interface
SonicWalls have per-interface protocol filters that need to be customized so Auvik can send and receive queries using SNMP and SSH. Which interface you enable them on depends on which firewall interface is pointing towards your Auvik collector. Here are several common scenarios:
Local Connection to the SonicWall
Your collector is sitting on a host that reaches your SonicWall via a LAN port (e.g. X0). In this example, you would enable SNMP and SSH on local interface X0. To resolve:
- Navigate to Network,System, and then Interfaces. For SonicOS 7, click “Edit this Interface” (the floating pencil on the Interface line).
- Within the pop-up menu, in the General tab, enable SNMP and SSH.
- Click OK.
Remote Connection to the SonicWall (Multi-Site)
Your topology consists of two sites connected by a site-to-site VPN. Your Auvik collector is deployed at one location, and you’d like it to scan the remote site. To accomplish this, enable SNMP and SSH access on the appropriate VPN policy:
- Navigate to Network, IPSec VPN, then Rules and Settings. Click Edit in the line of the appropriate VPN Policy.
- A pop-up window with three tabs should appear. Click the Advanced tab.
- In the “Management via this SA” section, ensure SNMP and SSH are enabled.
- Click Save.