Auvik requires that SNMP and SSH access be enabled to your SonicWALL for the most cohesive monitoring experience. Here’s how to do it.
Assumptions: You have administrative access to your SonicWALL switch.
Enable SNMP on the device
SNMP is typically disabled by default on a factory-reset SonicWALL device. You’ll need to manually enable it. From the SonicWALL administrative graphical user interface (GUI):
- Navigate to System, then Advanced Management.
- On newer generation SonicWALLs, there may be a dedicated SNMP tab. Navigate to this instead.
- Check off Enable SNMP.
- Click on the Configure button.
- Within the Get Community Name textbox, enter a community string you’d like to use. “public” is the default.
Enable SNMP and SSH on appropriate interface
SonicWALLs have per-interface protocol filters that need to be tweaked so Auvik can send and receive queries using SNMP and SSH. Which interface you enable them on depends on which firewall interface is pointing towards your Auvik collector. Consider a couple of scenarios:
Local Connection to the SonicWall
Your collector is sitting on a virtual machine that reaches your SonicWALL via a LAN port (say, X0).
- You would enable SNMP and SSH on local interface X0 in this case.
- Navigate to Network, then Interfaces from the left-hand side pane.
- Within the Interface Settings table, configure the LAN-side interface that’s pointing to the Auvik virtual appliance by clicking the pencil icon on the right-hand side of the row (in our example, X0).
- Within the pop-up menu, in the Management section, check off SNMP and SSH.
- Click OK.
Remote Connection to the SonicWall (Multi-Site)
This is a multi-site setup. Your Auvik collector is deployed at your main site, and you’d like it to scan a remote site’s SonicWALL connected via VPN.
- You would enable SNMP and SSH access on the appropriate VPN policy that your collector’s traffic would pass through.
- Navigate to the VPN tab. Click Settings.
- Click the Configure button for the appropriate VPN policy.
- A pop-up window with four tabs should appear. Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Management via this SA section, ensure SNMP and SSH are checked off.
- Click OK.
Add new SNMP and Login Credentials to Auvik
Add the newly created community string and SSH login credential to Auvik if you haven’t already done so.
On the next discovery cycle, you’ll now find rich monitoring information and alerting enabled for your SonicWALL firewall.